Awards up to
2023-03-05 - The Ho‘oilina Scholarship is a partnership between the Hawai‘i Department of Labor & Industrial Relations (DLIR), Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association (HLTA) and the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Shidler College of Business, School of Travel Industry Management, with funding generously provided through support from the Hawaii State Legislature. The Ho'oilina scholarship is a four-year scholarship (up to $27k per year) awarded to four (4) Hawai‘i public high school graduates (one from each county) who enroll at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and declare a major in Travel Industry Management (TIM). The annual funding pays for: tuition, fees, books, meals and on-campus housing.
Ho‘oilina scholarship applications are reviewed by the Ho‘oilina Scholarship selection committee and are awarded to students who demonstrate high levels of academic and extra-curricular achievement and leadership, and want to pursue a career in the hospitality, the tourism or the transportation industries.
- - Incoming freshman majoring in Travel Industry Management
- - State of Hawai‘i resident
- - Hawai‘i public high school graduate
- - 3.2 cumulative GPA (unweighted)
SCHOLARSHIP CONDITIONS *
- - Full-time enrollment (12 credits) as a declared BS-TIM major
- - Maintain a minimum 3.20 cumulative GPA
- - 160-hours of internship
- - 20-hours of community service per semester (160-hours total)
- - Service-to-School requirement: participate in Shidler / TIM School sponsored events
- - Leadership position in one TIM student club for a full academic year
- - Completion of four (4) Hawaiian culture courses
- - Student must live on campus (funded by the scholarship)
- - Work in Hawai‘i post-graduation for at least one (1) year
1. Complete UH Manoa admissions application
- Apply at https://manoa.hawaii.edu/admissions/freshman/ and select “Travel Industry Management - BS” as planned course of study
2. Complete Ho‘oilina Scholarship application
- - Submit a resume (PDF) through the application
- - Submit two personal statements (350 words or less) through the application
- - Submit a copy of unofficial transcript through the application
- - Submit two letters of recommendation: one academic and one personal through the application
DEADLINE TO APPLY: February 24, 2023 (late applications accepted until MARCH 5, 2023)
*The Ho'oilina Scholarship Advisor will outline the pathway to meeting all the required scholarship conditions upon enrollment.
For more information, please visit shidler.hawaii.edu/tim/hooilina-scholars or contact Carissa Gusman, Ho‘oilina Scholarship Advisor, at email@example.com or (808) 956-8946.