Lau Mai'a High School ScholarshipExpired
Awards up to
2023-04-28 - ABOUT THIS SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship, established by the Purple Maiʻa Foundation, is open to graduating high school seniors, who will be pursuing a Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Mathematics, or Science-related degree at a 2-year or 4-year college or university within the United States.
This opportunity is open to ANY incoming freshmen, including Hawaii residents and continental US students.
This name of this scholarship is inspired by references to lau maiʻa in 19th century Hawaiian language newspapers.
ABOUT PURPLE MAI'A
The Purple Maiʻa Foundation is a 501(c)(3) Education Technology non-profit organization with a mission to educate and empower the next generation of culturally grounded, community-serving technology makers and problem solvers.
OPEN AND CLOSE DATES: March 1, 2023 - April 28, 2023
CRITERIA: Recipients must be willing to volunteer (in person or remotely) for a community-serving Hawaiian organization the summer following the first year in college for a total of 40 hours.
TO QUALIFY, YOU MUST
- - pursue a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Mathematics, or Science
- - be willing to volunteer (in person or remotely) for a Hawaiian charity the summer following Freshman year for a total of 40 hours
- - be applying to a 2-year or 4-year college or university
- - currently be a high school senior
- - have a demonstrated record of community service or working to lift up the lāhui
- - Official transcript
- - 1 letter of recommendation
- - Personal statement
- - Project that you are most proud of that shows your passion and/or commitment to ʻāina, kaiāulu or lāhui.
- - Answer 4 short questions
- 1) Tell the story of your names, all of your names.
- 2) Tell the story of your community, however, you define community.
- 3) Tell the story of your gift(s)
- 4) Tell us about bananas